We're happy to present to you our tech demo, showing core game mechanics and containing 20-30 minutes of test gameplay. Please keep in mind that this is work in progress and many things are subject to change. We hope that you will notice significant improvements compared to Episode 1, since we utilized your feedback to make the game much better.
Before you start reading, we recommend that you play this piece composed by our sound producer especially for Kickstarter - this should help you dive into the atmosphere of the game.
The Uncertain is an episodic story-driven adventure game set in a post-apocalyptic world. The human race were wiped off the face of the Earth, and robots have come to take their place. The first episode of The Uncertain is available on Steam. Playing for a robot named RT, you can follow the story of a small resistance group that found out the truth about where did everyone disappear and tried to help the few survivors. The second episode of the game will feature the same events seen from a different perspective.
Over the last two years, The Uncertain has been transformed from a small project created by one person to an entire world that a team of professional developers is working on. The first episode came out in September 2016. Having received so much support from our dear players, we could see you liked the idea. But according to your feedback, the way we were putting this idea to work had to be changed. We have gained a great deal of experience over the last two years and can’t wait to show you a story, unlike anything you have ever seen before.
- Classic third-person sci-fi 3D adventure about robots that have taken over our planet.
- Some of your decisions will affect certain events in the game.
- Puzzles form an important part of our game. Each one of them is unique. Puzzles won’t drive you mad, but you’ll have to concentrate.
- The main character has a holographic watch that he can scan items, take photos and find Easter eggs with.
- Beautiful and unusual post-apocalyptic atmosphere.
You’re terrified having to hide all the time. Those who you thought were your faithful servants have switched camps and now are hunting you down. Your friends and family have been abducted. You don’t know where they are or what happened to them and there’s nothing you can do about it. Survival by hiding is what seems to be the only option with no hope and zero understanding of the reasoning behind it all. You’re an outcast, a criminal, an outlaw just because you’re a human being.
The story unfolds in the not-too-distant future when people are completely used to having robots around. You will play for a girl named Emily. You, Emily and a small group of people have to survive constantly hiding from the robots that are snooping around everywhere. Every time you go into town, you risk being discovered and seized by the police. You and Emily together will have to go through a lot, take make-or-break decisions and try to find a way out of this situation.
All soundtracks are composed by our sound producer, Igor Fomichev, known as Neither_Am_I. Igor mixes classical instruments and modern genres creating a unique atmosphere for our project. Hear it for yourself!
Our game is made up of individual locations that aren’t big, so it’s important for us to make each of them full of detail, beautiful, unique, and interesting to explore. We pay great attention to the design of the game levels and try to liven them up with interesting details containing small parts of the overall story to create certain atmosphere.
- Emily – the main character. Before the incident happened, she used to work as a spatial designer, so she knows the town inside-out and often acts as a guide or goes on field trips. She has a lively personality and likes winding people up to lighten the mood or hide her own inner turmoil.
- Park – a shy young man and former student who likes music and writing songs. He used to work at a music store as a side hustle. Despite health problems, Park always tries his best to help others. He can be extreme and outspoken at times.
- Brian – a pensioner, former communications service employee and a passionate radio enthusiast. He can create just about anything using improvised materials. Because of his age, sometimes he suffers from insomnia and joint pain. Brian often gives wise advice and tries to resolve all conflicts arising within the group.
We think that acting is one of the most important parts for a story-driven adventure, that's why we are hiring one of the best talents on the market
- Jo Wyatt as Emily - known to you as Ciri from Witcher 3 and Female Hawke from Dragon Age: Origins
- Dolya Gavanski as Olga - known to you as Zarya from Overwatch
Now we are in negotiations with couple of other big names, though we can't disclose any of them before reaching an agreement.
Currently, we're using our own savings to support the project, which is enough to finish about 85% of it. The remaining 15% we want to fund through Kickstarter, otherwise, we'll have to cut down on the quantity of the content.
Right now we're at a crossroads where we need to decide: do we go all out and include everything, or do we cut the parts that we don’t have the money for?
Most of our funds are being spent on external contractors, such as voice over actors, and the rest will be used to expand the team and fulfill physical rewards.
Risks and challenges
We have been developing The Uncertain: Episode 2 since the fall of 2016. Since then, we have overcome many problems and challenges, from writing our own game scenario editor to changing 4 Lead 3d artists in 3 months.
Now we are assembling the game level by level and our biggest challenge a possible delay in release due to the level of quality that we set for us together with the need to translate huge volumes of text into other languages.
We promise to make every effort to put out the project on time and keep you informed of any changes in the graphics, gameplay or any other commitments that may affect you.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter